Updated: Feb 16, 2022
I love bite sized treats, especially fluffy ones. I wanted to combine cacao and merlot and couldn’t think of a better way to showcase these flavours.
This recipe makes 30 madeleines.
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup cacao powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated or cane sugar
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 Tbsp merlot (or a dry red wine)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1. Grease and lightly coat (with cacao powder) 3 madeleine pans and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, merlot and vanilla extract until combined.
3. Fold in the dry ingredients and the butter. Once combined, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spoon each mold 3/4 full and gently tap to remove any air bubbles. Bake for 6-8 minutes until the madeleines have risen.
5. Cool and serve. Sprinkle icing sugar on top, dip in chocolate or create a glaze of your choice!
In this recipe, I used a gifted Pelee Island Winery’s LOLA Merlot wine https://www.peleeisland.com/product/lola-merlot-vqa/ and Cacao powder from Tropeaka gifted by Brain Snacks Co. in Regina, SK https://shop.brainsnacks.co/collections/tropeaka-all/products/cacao-powder?variant=36818799427738