I was craving chocolate donuts the other day and I figured it wouldn't be too tough to make my own. I used the recipe from Erren's Kitchen but adapted a few things. If you've ever tasted Tim Horton's chocolate timbits, these donuts taste eerily similar. For this recipe, you will need donut pans. The recipe makes 18 donuts.
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/3 cups sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 large egg - lightly beaten
1 1/4 cups whole milk (3.25%)
2 tbsp melted butter
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp hot water
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and grease donut pans (3 pans if you have them).
2. In a bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. In another bowl, whisk egg, milk, melted butter, vegetable oil and vanilla.
4. Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix.
5. Fill pans 3/4 full. Bake for 13-15 minutes (mine are smaller donut pans, so I do 13 minutes).
6. While the donuts bake and then cool for 5 minutes, prepare the glaze. Mix sugar, vanilla and hot water. Dip the donuts into the mix and then allow them to dry on a drying rack.